Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Opening a Can of Whoop A**

Okay so I have been very curious about boxing for about the past year.  Something about being able to kick someone's ass seems very liberating to me!  Yesterday I decided to call a Muay Thai gym and find out some more information.  I called, talked to James, and set up an appointment for this evening.
I walked in tonight and the first thing I see is a sign that says "Absolutely No Shoes Beyond This Point."  As if I didn't feel awkward enough, I had to take off my shoes and socks and show my unpedicured toes to the whole gym.  So from the get-go James creeped me out.  He was the typical salesman, asking me all kinds of weirdo questions about why I was interested in Muay Tai and if I like working with a team, ect.  Then he breaks the news to me about the pricing....$185/month for a committment of 12 months.  I about choked.  Or I could commit for 24 months and pay only $160/month...geez what a break?  I was feeling overwhelmed.  I asked if it would be possible to try it out first before I made such a huge committment.
He agreed and asked if I had time to do a private lesson immediately.  I said sure.  Then he informed me that to do the lesson I had to purchase a tshirt and hand wraps.  WHAT!  Okay, so I caved.  I bought the freaking tshirt and hand wraps....$25.  We went into this private room, where it was just me, him, and about 5 punching bags.  Talk about AWKWARD!  He taught me a few techniques and then we headed to the main gym.  I was feeling better about that since there were other people in there, but then he made me get in the boxing ring, which was right in the middle of gym, right in front of EVERYONE!  I wanted to say "ARE YOU SERIOUS!"  So we practiced for another 20 minutes and it was over.  He took me back to his office and asked me which committment I would like to make.  I hate the feeling of being pressured into something.  And, thats when the conversation went bad....
I said that I needed to go home and speak with my husband about our budget (Are you serious, I don't need to check with my husband, I do the budget, but I had to think of something to get me out of there) and see if this was something we wanted to committ to financially.  James then mumbled, "well I don't understand, I don't give out private lessons for free unless you join the club." 
I went into b**** mode.  I said, "Well, that wasn't what I understood...so do I really need to pay you for the private lesson?"  James replies,"Well no, if you are going to talk to your husband tonight then that's fine.  There is a beginner class that starts tomorrow, so I guess I will see you then." 
I said, "Um, Maybe."  And walked out.  Mr. James Creeper Weirdo, needless to say, will not be seeing me tomorrow......

1 comment:

  1. What a P I G!!!! I'll go with you and KICK his A** MILL Street Style, you don't need lessons for that ;)

    ReplyDelete